What do you think of when you imagine a romantic break? Does your mind conjure fuzzy-edged soft focus images of a loving couple walking hand in hand along a petal-strewn treelined avenue, with glorious cherry blossoms bursting with fresh pink and white blooms? Or perhaps you might think of a lake, where two lovebirds sit contentedly on board a small watercraft, earnestly exchanging news and views which solely concern them. All of us have different ideas of what romantic breaks comprise. In terms of a Bed and Breakfast establishment that is located in the heart of one of the most beautiful parts of the world, the English Lake District National Park, here are some suggestions as to how two people in love might seek to spend a few days and nights away with each other.
First of all, of course, must be the basis for said romantic break. Our couple needs a base to call home for the duration of their stay. Some couples like themed bedrooms, for example, an Ali Baba room. Other couples want comfortable rooms which offer quality accommodation. Yet others may want to splurge – perhaps paying huge sums for boutique hotel rooms that are all singing and dancing with spa baths, saunas and the like. We are all different as are our budgets.
Secondly, couples must decide on a city, rural or, indeed, isolated, break. Some want a complete hideaway. Others prefer the high jinks of city life. Straddling the middle ground would be busy villages or towns, where amenities are readily available. It depends how much night life the couple wants.
Another thing to consider is the type of break couples prefer. Active couples might want to be walking the hills, sailing yachts, riding horses, or taking part in other adventure activities. More sedate couples might prefer to mooch about town, visiting popular attractions, such as historic homes and gardens, attending artiste events, and so on. Yet others might simply want the chance to stay indoors and in their rooms for much of the day, taking advantage of room amenities such as a hot tub or room service. It all boils down to personal tastes and choices.
So, what can we offer at Blenheim Lodge? Well, here they are:
- a B&B that straddles that midpoint between village and country – Blenheim Lodge is situated on a private road in a quiet residential part of Bowness-on-Windermere, within a 5-minute walk to the centre of the village and Lake Windermere to the front of us, and a minute’s stroll to the start of The Dales Way, just behind our guesthouse
- a secluded home sitting a little way up a fell, with woodlands, fields, fell walks and view points behind us – perhaps keep a look out for wild deer roaming the fell or new-born lambs
- a peaceful location where you can hear the birds sing and listen out for owls hooting in the dark, see pheasants strutting, dormice playing, or squirrels jostling for nuts and seeds (actually) put out for the birds – oh! and you can also hear yourself think!
- a tranquil family home where you can look out of your windows onto beautiful Lake Windermere and fell views
- a traditional Victorian guest house with all the usual mod cons, quirky rooms styled individually and furnished with handmade beds, quality linens, and Laura Ashley soft furnishings
- a warm and inviting place with bedrooms, many furnished with antique furniture, including romantic 4-poster and Louis XV beds
- a breakfast comprising quality local produce, including hearty butcher-made sausage and bacon and fresh milk and eggs delivered daily; vegetarian options such as oven-fresh croissants and delectable muffins are also served as a breakfast choice
- finally, just a friendly kindly type of place, where the chat is down to earth and your hosts are helpful, wanting only for their guests to enjoy themselves
Blenheim Lodge is particularly well-situated, especially for romantic couples who want a quiet break away not far from the hustle and bustle of village or town, and just a close walk to all amenities and attractions. Our hilltop location lifts us from the noise of main road traffic and crowds, and provides a tranquil retreat. Five minutes’ walk from our B&B are lake cruises to enjoy, restaurants, pubs, shops and other amenities to indulge those taste buds or engage in retail therapy, a theatre and other attractions to visit. One minute’s stroll from our door is a farm gate which opens onto The Dales Way and pretty country paths leading to panoramic viewpoints. For couples who want adrenaline inducing activities, why not try the GoApe or Brockhole treetop adventures close by, where you can gape at spectacular views and whizz across zip lines?
There is much to see and do in the Lake District. But for couples on romantic breaks, one of the best treats must surely include a lovely meal for two, perhaps in one of the restaurants that are just 2-5 minutes’ walk from our house. As for impressing your beloved on arrival? How about asking us to order flowers, handmade chocolate truffles and champagne – perhaps even a cake with your own message – to welcome her into your room? That must surely be worth a few Brownie points!
For a romantic long weekend away, why not take advantage of the upcoming May public holiday weekend? Stay at Blenheim Lodge on off-peak rates, starting from a mere £45 per person per night for Bed and Breakfast. We would be delighted to welcome you here.
Blenheim Lodge . . . panoramic Lake views, peace and tranquillity, nestled against acres of beautiful fields and woodlands, in the heart of the English Lake District National Park.’