Where to Eat
Where to Eat
Where to Eat
The Lake District’s rural economy offers a cornucopia of tasty Lakeland fare. Dine out on home grown local produce, beautifully prepared and served in old-fashioned pubs, quaint cafes, and fine-dining restaurants. (N.B. The list below is merely representative of local foods and places to eat, and does not suggest any commendation on our part.)
Some Local Places to Eat in Bowness and Windermere
- THE ROYAL OAK: popular pub frequented by locals for food and drink
- JACKSON’S BISTRO: modestly priced place to eat with early meal deals
- PORTO: promotes itself as a fine-dining venue serving modern British cuisine
- FRANCINE’S: bistro-style home-cooked meals with many seafood choices
- HOOKED: seafood restaurant with menu changes based on daily catches
- HOLE IN T’WALL: Bowness’ oldest pub (1612) serves homemade pub food
Some Places to Eat a Little Further Afield
- FELLINNIS, AMBLESIDE: vegetarian eatery with cinema playing up-to-date films
- EAGLE AND CHILD, STAVELEY: character pub serving homemade meals
- QUEENS HEAD INN, HAWKSHEAD: local produce lovingly cooked and beautifully presented
- STICKLEBARN, LANGDALE: sample fresh locally sourced meals and ales in the National Trust’s only pub
- PHEASANT INN, BASSENTHWAITE: nice pub and bistro serving quality produce
- WASDALE HEAD INN, WASDALE: honest pub food at road’s end in remote Wasdale
Pack a Picnic
- FELL FOOT PARK: Windermere lakeshore park with plenty of space to picnic, gentle walks and easy access for boating, paddling or swimming
- BRANTFELL: open fell acres behind our B&B with easy footpaths, viewpoints and strategically placed benches to explore and picnic
- AIRA FORCE: benches ideal to share a picnic dot this beautiful Victorian parkland which eases seamlessly into the local Ullswater landscape
- TARN HOWS: Monk Coniston beauty spot with benches conveniently dotted around the easily navigated 1.5 mile footpath around this pretty tarn
- BROCKHOLE VISITOR CENTRE: the picnic spot on Windermere for facilities, attractions, events, and easy water or road access
- Take a blanket with you, choose your favourite view or hideout, and have yourselves a picnic wherever you fancy! Try Loughrigg Tarn, High Dam, etc.
- GRASMERE GINGERBREAD: Created in 1854 by Sarah Nelson, Grasmere Gingerbread is the iconic ‘spicy-sweet sensation’ which visitors love.
- TRADITIONAL CUMBERLAND SAUSAGE: Highly seasoned coiled pork sausage from ancient Cumberland, now part of Cumbria, with a rough texture.
- KENDAL MINT CAKE: A sugary confection eaten by Hilary and Tensing on top of Everest and often used by walkers and mountaineers as an energy boost.
- DAMSON GIN: Damsons from the Lyth and Winster Valleys are used to make this special drink.
- STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING: Handmade in Cartmel by the Village Shop, this popular dessert is available to buy in Cumbria and much of the UK.
- SALT MARSH LAMB: Reared on wild grasses and herbs on the salt marshes of Cumbria, this meat is highly prized by chefs and connoisseurs alike.
- CHEESES: Cumbrian cheeses made from goat, ewe and cow’s milk reflect the landscapes on which the animals have been reared and fed.
Get in Touch
Contact us by Email
When you email us, we will always reply as soon as possible, and will also always endeavour to answer any questions you might have about a break with us at Blenheim Lodge. Guests can also book accommodation with us via email.
Contact us by Phone
For a more personal service, please feel free to contact us by phone. This is a great option particularly for anyone who prefers to get a feel of us and our B&B before making a booking. It is also an easy way to obtain information almost immediately regarding a stay here at Blenheim Lodge and in the Lake District in general.
Phone: +44 (0)15394 43440
Visit us in Person
If you are planning a getaway in our peaceful relaxing corner of the world, please do give us a call or email to find out more about our Bed and Breakfast accommodation at Blenheim Lodge or to book. And if you are already in Bowness on Windermere, please feel free to drop by and check us out for a special place to stay!