What are the five must do things to see and do in Bowness on Windermere? This pretty village is located on the shores of Windermere, England’s largest natural body of water, is an approximate mile from the town of Windermere, where the only nationally linked railway line in the Lake District resides. Visitors to Bowness on Windermere, often referred to simply as “Bowness”, will find plenty of things to see and do here. Listed below are five must do things to enhance your stay in Bowness village.
Sail on Windermere
Lake Windermere is one of the main reasons why so many visitors flock to the Lake District National Park. This attractive lake has been featured in a number of TV programmes, and draws in the crowds year round. What should one do at the Lake?
- Ride the ferries – These traverse the mere with various stopping points along the way so that visitors can hop on and off to visit larger places such as Waterhead and Lakeside, and smaller ones such as Brockhole and Fell Foot, both of which are National Park properties.
- Take the Windermere Ferry – This cable ferry is the latest incarnation of the original Windermere Ferry which began operations more than 500 years ago, and now transports both passengers and vehicles.
- Walk Bowness Promenade and feed the birds – If you enjoy shopping and taking in the views, both of the landscape and Nature’s creatures, a gentle stroll here will keep you amused!
- Get a bite to eat – Step into an eating establishment on the Promenade or pick up a sandwich or snack that you can enjoy al fresco on a bench at Cockshott Point on the shores of Windermere.
- Hire a boat or paddle board – Row or motor a boat and explore England’s largest lake at your own pace. And for that extra bit of adventure, why not hop onto a paddle board too?
Visit a local attraction
Bowness on Windermere has some popular local attractions, one of which relates to the perennially popular authoress, Beatrix Potter. All are approximately five minutes’ walk from Blenheim Lodge.
- The World of Beatrix Potter – Take a short “hop, skip, and jump” from our front door at Blenheim Lodge to this sweet delight that continues to enthral both young and old.
- The Old Laundry Theatre – Enjoy live shows in a cosy intimate setting.
- Royalty Cinema – Watch the latest films in this comfortable cinema with its wonderful olde worlde ambiance!
Discover countryside walks
- The Dales Way Footpath – This is one of the most picturesque long distance treks in our part of the world. Depending on your direction of travel, this walk will either begin or end at the farm gate at the foot of Brant Fell, into which Blenheim Lodge nestles serenely, overlooking Lake Windermere.
- Brant Fell – Open the gate behind our house onto Brant Fell, and slip through to explore multiple acres of organic woodlands and meadows where pretty trails lead to panoramic and 360-degree viewpoints for those all encompassing views over Lake Windermere and the fells.
- Millerground – Take a break from Windermere’s crowded shores in Bowness centre, and discover instead the hidden paths and pretty cascade at Millerground, where the waters of Windermere lap upon a small sandy beach.
Bowness offers a multitude of independent shops and some national and local chain stores.
- Independent shops – If you’re tired of trailing in and out of chain shops, then how about checking out the many independent shops that line Bowness’ main road and side streets? There are boutiques, stationery, gift, kitchen, footwear and other specialty stores. And if you enjoy shopping for paintings and pictures, you’ll find these too. And much more.
- Services – Fancy spoiling yourself? Try one of the local hairdressers or book a deep tissue massage. All are within easy walking distance of our Bed and Breakfast.
There are so many places to eat in Bowness that I’ve lost count of them. Some place new seems to spring up every so often! A huge variety of cuisines tempt the palate.
- Various cuisines – There are at least a couple each of Thai and Chinese restaurants and a few curry houses to choose from.
- Cafes – Some of these offer really comfy seating and replicate comforting home cooked fare, such as desserts that make the mouth water!
- Pubs – Local well-established pubs serve traditional pub food, whilst newer bars often serve more modern fare.
- Restaurants – Fine cuisine is available from some restaurants, but others serve more down to earth food.
- Food on the trot – Fish and chips, pasties, and sandwiches come to mind.
- Local and chain food services – Bryson’s is a bakery with a tea room that serves locally made savoury and sweet foods. Close by is the well-known chain cafe, Costa Coffee, located directly across the road from this Lake District family bakery.
So there you have it – five must do things when visiting Bowness on Windermere! When you visit, do make time to experience some or all of these things to see and do here. I’m sure you’ll find something to keep you happy and occupied! And then return to Blenheim Lodge for a well deserved and comfortable rest and peaceful sleep after your busy day out. Enjoy!
Blenheim Lodge . . . panoramic Lake views, peace and tranquillity, nestled against acres of beautiful fields and woodlands, in the heart of the English Lake District National Park.’
Visit our website: www.blenheim-lodge.com
Phone: 00 44 (0)15394 43440